Monday, May 1, 2017

Writers Block -- Throw It Out!

My new strategy for dealing with writers block is to throw it out and start over! Writers all have that moment of reading something they wrote and hating it. This scene from Mike & Molly resonates with me. Been there, done that!


One of my first books, The Boy Next Door, was a story I loved...until I received edits. Let's just say the edits felt like a personal attack and I didn't see any way to save the story. So I printed it out and set it on fire in the driveway. Damn was that ever therapeutic! Thankfully The Boy Next Door did survive edits and get published, thanks to my friend and coauthor, TK Winters, but it was a painful process.

I learned a valuable lesson about backing up my work when my computer crashed and I lost an entire chapter of a work in progress, Have a Little Faith In Me. Rewriting the chapter was frustrating but a blessing in disguise because the new version turned out to be a vast improvement.

This happened again recently while writing Ice Queen, part of the Naughty Literati's upcoming release, Naughty Getaways. I liked the characters and premise but was struggling to write the story. I'd worked on it intermittently for a month and only had 4,500 words. So I stopped writing, read what I had and found myself bored. Gah! Finally, I set it aside, opened a blank Word document, and started over with the same characters but at a different point in their story.

Since I'd been bored with what I wrote, I decided the story needed to start in a big way. I put the characters in the middle of having sex at work on the company owner's desk. BHAM!

Tossing out the old version and starting over vitalized my writing and brought my muse out to play. The words flowed like a raging river. I ended up writing 14,555 words in only six was nights, the fastest I've ever written a story. This is really impressive when the fastest I'd previously written had been 23,000 words in 3 weeks on Trip My Switch.

Hence my new motto was born--Throw It Out!

Here's a snippet of what I wrote--140 words that really got things rolling.
Copyright © Nicole Austin, 2017
Ice Queen - new adult, stepbrother romance

Blurb:
In school, he was the bad boy this good girl couldn’t have. At work, he’s the boss, I’m his intern. Oh, and his dad just married my mom. It’s so wrong. We shouldn’t be doing this, but I love it.

Snippet:
“Oh God. Right there. Yesss.”

The loud smack of flesh on flesh registers before the sting reverberates through my right ass cheek, followed quickly by a wave of heat. The slap amps up my arousal and has a fresh gush of juices spilling from my pussy onto the already damp desk blotter.

It’s so wrong. We shouldn’t be doing this, but I love it. Every decadent second of forbidden…

Hell, I don’t even know what to call it. Kyler Harrington isn’t my boyfriend. We aren’t dating or in any kind of relationship. He’s a complete asshole and I don’t even like him. I wouldn’t even call him a fuck buddy. I’m the intern who he just happens to fuck. Yet I thrill in the rebellious act of fucking him right under his father’s nose while on the clock at work.

Naughty Getaways will be available for your reading enjoyment June 1st.

Happy reading,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment